the freedom and imprisonment of education

It is now midterms season of my last semester of college, meaning I am despising exams, papers, and general schoolwork more than ever. However, I wasn't always like this. At one point in my life, school was my favorite thing in the whole world. Once upon a time, I had perfect attendance, always sitting in the front row, ready to fill my head with knowledge. I was that kid who knew the teacher on a first-name basis and had hour long chats with them in their office.

Thanks to multiple jobs, internships, and natural inclination towards cynicism, I soon realized how much was to be hated about the learning model the traditional school system offers, particularly the college teaching model. The bureaucracy among administrators, the lack of interest to teach from research professors, and the overall work load complemented with comments of how students need to manage their time better. That's not to say I'm the best time manager, but honestly, there are those teachers who have tunnel vision when it comes to their class, assuming it's ok to assign 20-page homework assignments on a bi-weekly basis (not an exaggeration). The business model of a university is brilliant as well: take students' tuition money, invest those dollars in athletics, research, and other major moneymakers for the school to further maximize profits, but still retain the ability to tell students that they aren't good enough (because that is the nature of customer service in an educational business model). Getting into college will not guarantee you a job, a happier life, or a stronger sense of humanity; the only thing it does guarantee you is a smaller bank account. All those other things are personal initiative and sweet-talking administrators to bend to your will.

Here is my conclusion. I hate school, but I love learning. And isn't it a shame that those two have suddenly become separate things for me? When I am in a class that I feel like I am really learning something interesting and engaging, it's not work for me. I gravitate towards it and really obsess over the finer details with such scrutiny, but go to bed at 4 AM with no qualms. These classes aren't just limited to my interests, but the professor's ability to teach. Notice I say teach and not present. For instance, I have never been a fan of history class, yet I found myself absolutely enchanted by my last history professor, a man who truly had a passion for understanding and uncovering the past of humanity. And from his dedication to teach students emerged my newfound desire to learn and appreciate history (something I thought would never happen). But where have these high quality classes gone?

I referenced jobs and internships earlier too because my absolute favorite kind of learning is when I get to interact, touch, engage, and become part of the learning process. Synonymous with my love of learning is my love to work and be part of something greater, rather than fester in a classroom under the regime of a teacher who could care less. Why fester in a classroom when you can work in the real world? I understand that school provides you with the basic knowledge you need to survive out there, but there is a certain point where you know what you're learning in the classroom will NEVER apply to your life thereafter.

If you've read this far, I applaud you. If you skimmed, that's okay too. Maybe I'm just being a picky student who is being bullheaded about the system. The moral of the story is this: For me, learning something absolutely fascinating and something you can truly love and appreciate is the best feeling in the world, and it can really set your imagination free. But learning (or trying to learn) something you despise (whether it's because of your teacher, the subject matter, or both) can create a torture cell for your mind, imprisoned by the social need to graduate and be deemed acceptable for society. Does that mean you just fake it until you make it? Or does the system actually need to change?

Leave a Reply

Proudly powered by Blogger
Theme: Esquire by Matthew Buchanan.
Converted by LiteThemes.com.